Life on the vine

I comment on wines, and the industry. I believe that you can enjoy good wine, sometimes even great wine, without spending a fortune.

Monday, January 09, 2006

A sucker for celebrity wines

I'm a sucker for wines in any way connected to celebrities. Maybe you are, too.
I bought a bottle of 2003 pinot noir from a grocery store in Amelia Island, Florida, just because a painting of William Shakespeare was on the label. I'm an English major, OK, I love Shakespeare. Worse, I gave the bottle to a friend as a gift without finding out whether the pinot was good or not. Because I live six hours away from the grocery store where I bought the wine, it may be awhile before I get a chance to taste it.
Do you have a favorite celebrity wine? Let me know.
Meanwhile, here are a few I've tasted recently:
--Several by filmmaker Francis Ford Coppolla. The latest was a 2003 chardonnay, for about $18. Widely available.
--2002 Blue Suede chardonnay. These are the wines that feature Elvis on the label. It was about $11. So-so.
--Marilyn Merlot, the 2002 version, for $28. A very good merlot.
--2002 Fess Parker Santa Barbara chardonnay, $24. Parker is the guy who played Daniel Boone in the TV series in the 1960s. His winery was also the one referred to as "Frass Canyon," in the movie Sideways -- a winery that lead character/wine geek Miles ridiculed. Sorry, Miles, Parker makes a pretty good chardonnay for the money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home