Life on the vine

I comment on wines, and the industry. I believe that you can enjoy good wine, sometimes even great wine, without spending a fortune.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wed. Dec. 7, 2005

So-so wine? Make some sangria with it

If you have tasted this season’s Beaujolais nouveau, you may have come to the same conclusion I have: It’s not that good.
What to do?
I decided to do what I do a lot when I buy a so-so bottle of wine. Make some sangria out of it. Sangria is a great little drink to have around during the weekends – not just for party time.
I used a bottle of Bouchard Aine & Els Beaujolais nouveau that I bought over the Thanksgiving holiday from a liquor store in the resort town of Fernandina Beach, Florida.
The ingredients:
1 mango, peeled and sliced
1 peach, peeled and sliced
1 orange, sliced
2 cups, white seedless grapes
1 bottle Beaujolais nouveau
1 cup sugar
2 cups peach wine (from a so-so regional wine from Georgia)
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix all of this in a pitcher. Serve over ice.
I decided to throw in some peach wine because my wife had been pressured into buying a regional wine from a roadside stand near Milledgeville, Georgia. It was horrible. Reminded me of the over-sweet Boone’s Farm we used to drink in the 1970s, when I was in college. But it, too, came in handy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you bought wine at a road side stand, in Georgia, you broke the law and are not one that I would follow in buying wine.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home